From:
Karyn-grace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:05:30 -0700
Hi, Pam.

Wow, what an interesting situation.  I have a son who has epilepsy, but I am
by no means an expert.  One thing that is important to realize is that
'epilepsy' is very broad - there are many different kinds of seizures and
each has its own triggers and impacts on the individuals.

I do know that for many people with epilespy, most of their seizures happen
'around' sleeping.  This can mean that they will seize as they fall into
sleep, as they come out of it, or when they are sleeping.  For many, LACK of
sleep is a certain trigger for having a seizure.  Some people with epilespy
will seize multiple times per day (or night), and others only a few times
per year.  Some seizures are very severe and cause loss of consciousness,
and others are very mild and hardly noticed.

For the most part, the seizure itself is not dangerous, unless it is one of
the more severe kinds that cause a loss of consciousness and/or loss of
oxygen to the brain and organs.  If this is the kind that your client has,
then keeping her as seizure free as possible is necessary.  However, if she
has minor seizures that are no real health concern to her, then keeping her
seizure free is not so crucial.  What is crucial, no matter the kind of
seizure, is how mother is able to cope with night time parenting in a way
ensure the safety of the infant at all times.

So, that said, it sounds like this mother and her partner have come up with
a method of infant care that works for them at this time.  However, if they
are wanting to maximize her milk supply and minimize the night time
interruption on everyone, I wonder if they might consider having the baby's
father position the baby at the breast of the sleeping mother, waiting and
watching nearby as the feed continues, and then removing the baby from the
bed to sleep elsewhere.  This would allow the mother to sleep for longer
than 6 hours, and would eliminate the need for pumping, as well as ensure
that her milk supply is not compromised during these crucial early weeks.

Good luck!

~kg

Karyn-grace Clarke, IBCLC, RLC
Registered Lactation Consultant