From:
Jeanette McCulloch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2011 20:54:22 -0400
All:

I thought I'd share our tongue-tie-decision-making story on the chance that it might be helpful to others working with families in the same place.

Both of my kiddos are tongue tied.  Our daughter went undiagnosed until a visit to a speech pathologist at age 4.  Such an ah ha moment after significant supply issues!  Fast forward to two days before our son's birth.  I swore that, if his tongue was tied, we'd get it clipped right away.  Then, our most perfect son was born, at home, surrounded by much peace and respect for his entry into the world.  When he had difficulty stimulating my supply, I resisted the frenotomy.  Thanks to our birth, I was deeply connected to my son and didn't want to see him in any pain, period.  My logical brain took over when he had no output, and then I consented.  But new mamas aren't *supposed* to be in their logical brains - they are *supposed* to be in the intuitive, "don't you touch a hair on my baby's head" place.  I was so grateful for my IBCLC, who wholeheartedly supported my choice to not clip at first, and then aas equally supportive of my choice to clip when I decided it was time.  (My favorite email from her was signed "from the president of the committee to preserve Huck's tongue.").  It was her total respect for my process that helped me get to the right decision for our family.

Warmly,
Jeanette McCulloch
IBCLC
LLL leader