From:
Elizabeth Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2011 00:04:49 -0500
Well, I guess if I put myself on a soapbox, I should be able to withstand
the blowback.

Jan -- my comments about IBLCE's stand on what CERPs they will provide is
based on my reading of their policy as their have published it on thier
website (the link was in the original, and is repeated here: "IBLCE will not
award CERPs for any education offered by any commercial vendor, least of all
WHO-Code-violators.  See http://americas.iblce.org/what-are-cerps; scroll
way to the bottom of the page.")

My comments about the bias inherent in the mix of medicine-and-commerce is
informed from many sources, but the one that is easiest to access was also
cited in my post, and is repeated here:  "Some distinguished scholars feel
that commerce and medicine cannot ethically co-mingle; the opportunity for
overt and subtle commercial bias to result is simply too great. See
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22942/.  The problem is profound; the
amounts of money involved are staggering.  If you want an eyeful, see
http://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/.

Professional associations take just as much heat as individual health care
providers in the Natl Library of Medicine work cited above.  There are HCPs
(including IBCLCs) and education providers (individuals and associations
alike) all over the world who conduct themselves ethically, legally
and according to high professional standards. HCPs should have their radars
up every single day, and learning about what forms of bias (subtle and
overt) may be exerted on our professional practice is one way to keep that
radar tuned.

--
Liz Brooks JD IBCLC FILCA
Wyndmoor, PA, USA