From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2011 00:47:20 -0500
I've occasionally gone to seminars sponsored by a Code violator in order to
hear particular well-known speakers on some aspect of breastfeeding or human
milk -- usually because of the convenience of not having to travel to hear
said speaker. I wouldn't expect CE for it and I don't eat any free food,
drink their kool-aid or take any perky gifts - and I purposefully let the
host/hostess know that I won't be doing so. I remain skeptical of info, but
I've also learned a lot from these speakers. And occasionally I think it can
be helpful to know what our healthcare colleagues are hearing -- even when
it isn't a well-known speaker because more of them do drink the kool-aid. I
go through an ethics algorithm in advance similar to the one Liz provided,
and I don't go unless I feel comfortable about not conflicting with the
ethics of attending. And yes, there's a possibility I'll go to something in
the future. I'll also go to exhibit areas so I can see how the kool-aid's
being served to colleagues - but I don't pick up any perks to go ga-ga
overthere either.

And I wouldn't want to call the products some of those sponsors make as
"crap in a can" -- I prefer "artificial infant milk." There are some babies
whose mothers don't/can't produce enough (for whatever reason) and don't
have access to human milk for some/all of their infancy. We know the kind of
BF support many of them don't get, and many of these moms feel badly enough
without laying that kind of crap on them.

--
Karen Gromada
www.karengromada.com/