From:
Elizabeth Swift <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 May 2011 08:59:02 -0400
Sonya, No, they've done nothing about the labial frenulum.  My granddaughter will
turn 2 next month and the dentist hasn't considered it a problem that needs addressing.
There's a history of a slight gap between front teeth in my husband's family (he has it
and so do several others in the family).  I wasn't even really aware of what caused it
until this issue came up.  Apparently, sometimes orthodontists address, it along with
braces later on, but it doesn't appear to be particularly on most people's radar with
infants.  My granddaughter also has an underbite (i.e. her top teeth close behind her
bottom ones in the front), so her lower jaw was probably also part of the issue during
initial breastfeeding (since most infants have a shorter rather than a longer lower jaw).
The whole experience has really impressed me with my daughter's ability to work with
her baby to find a comfortable and effective nursing position, even when things didn't
work exactly the way the books said.