Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2011 00:27:25 -0600
Sender:
From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
I have heard about the moms in Russia.  I think it was probably the same thing Karleen has seen.  I believe it was from about 1990.  I don't know if there has been anything else published, but I wish there would be.  What I have told adoptive moms who have had that question is that I think doing whatever they can to be able to pump breast milk for the child is very important.  In a case where a child was born to an HIV+ mother, but it is too soon to tell is the child contracted it, I suggest doing whatever can be done to mimic feeding at the breast, without the child actually latching on to the breast so that, if it is one day determined that they child does not have the virus, it will be easier to teach the child to take the breast. I have wondered about having moms just nurse with a nipple shield, but my experience with nipple shields is pretty limited, so I don't know if it would be enough protection or not.  As is common with breastfeeding and adoption, the children who stand the most to gain from it tend to be the most challenging ones to breastfeed.  What would be better for children who are HIV+ that being breastfed by a mother who did not have it?