quoted-printable
Message-ID:
Sender:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Dear all:

I was just asked to clarify the reference for the 36% increased risk attributable to sleeping in a different room compared to 16% increased risk attributable to sleeping in the same room.  What is striking when I went back to this article, is that the authors did not highlight this important point.  There is such a cultural bias against babies sleeping in the same room in some Western societies that I think we just don't SEE the evidence.  That is why it is always VERY important to never read the abstract first.  If you read the abstract, you may miss something very important that the authors missed themselves.  

I had to go back and really really read the article to find the data in Table 5.  
Reference: Carpenter, RF; Igrens LM; Blair PS, et al.  Sudden unexplained infant death in 20 regions in Europe:  Case control study. Lancet. 2004;363:185-191.

It was cited in James McKenna's article on "Why Babies Should Never Sleep Alone".  It is clear to me that he really does read the research very very thoroughly.  I might have skimmed this article and missed it myself, if it were not for his original citation.  

Best regards, Susan E. Burger

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2