From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2011 09:21:26 +0300
Ann Altshuler`s posting is very disturbing for many reasons.  But at the
source of the problem is the distribution.  How does the formula company
know which households have newborn babies?  Are they getting a list from
hospitals or birthing centres or government offices?  This is totally
illegal because someone is leaking these names and addresses and probably
getting paid a lot for it.
I always advise expectant parents not to give their details if they buy any
accessories or items in hospital gift shops or babywear stores.  Sometimes
they are enticed by gift packages on condition they fill out forms with all
their details.  If only we could market breastfeeding this way.
At present I am inundated with phone calls soliciting donations to charities
providing basic essentials to poor families including formula for babies.
Each one gets my "spiel" about the dangers of donating formula and a repeat
of my offer to set up a breastfeeding "hot line".
Wendy Blumfield
NCT Trained Prenatal Advanced Teacher/Tutor/Breastfeeding Counsellor
Israel Childbirth Education Centre