Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2011 00:56:52 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (48 lines)
I've been mulling around this topic a lot, wondering why a biological normal behavior (mother-infant togetherness with baby in a position that favors his neurological state, (see Colson's work) seems to be potential dangerous for quite some babies. I think the fact that the majority of women birthing in a hospital have received some kind of medication or treatment that will alter (the quality of) her wake-sleep states after delivery. For many this is topped up with too busy schedules with visitors and nursing/medical staff interruptions. It may very well be that in natural circumstances the Biological Nurturing positions (with or without skin contact) is the safest and most beneficial position for both mother and infant, but not if mom is drugged and/or over-tired.

I think safety will be inhabitance if visiting in the maternity ward is again restricted, perhaps like for ICU patients. For safe breastfeeding and dozing-off, I think moms should not be encouraged to breastfeed while sitting straight up, but reclining (not flat lying), with the bed-rails up and the space between mom and rails filled with pillows to rest her arms on. In that way her arms will form a cradle to safely hold her child. 

Warmly,

Gonneke, IBCLC in PP, LC lecturer in southern Netherlands

Twitter @eurolacpuntnet

--- On Sat, 4/23/11, Meggie Ross <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Subject: [LACTNET] Between a rock and a hard place - Skin to skin in hospital
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, April 23, 2011, 8:27 PM

Dear Lactnet community
It almost seems impossible that we will be able to reconcile the issues around the benefits of skin to skin/cobedding and hospital concerns re risks. Having worked as a hospital mat nurse for many years I have great sympathy for these nurses who are really stuck between a rock and a hard place. They may be full supporters of facilitating early skin to skin and the benefits of keeping moms and babes together in bed but every single hospital and governing organization policy prevents it (or makes it so unrealistic to implement on a busy unit). Sure, if a nurse stays in the room, the mom can be skin to skin, but she does have 5-10 other moms/babies to care for. I'm guessing that kangaroo mother care in the neonatal nursery at least hasn't had this barrier as nurses are a constant presence. 
The tragic death in our hospital a number of years ago involved a tired postpartum mom (aren't they all tired?) breastfeeding sitting up in bed and who fell asleep (quite understandable) with babe in arms and woke to find a cyanotic baby. The nurse had been in to check periodically but as you know, this might  quite reasonably be every 10-15 mins or so. What was done? Well, a good thing, but not necessarily anything that might prevent this in the future. The unit changed their policy and made every postpartum room private and invited (almost insisted) that a support person be present day and night. Now this was wonderful, but would this have prevented the death? - tired mom breastfeeding, tired dad sitting propped up in chair also asleep. No, it wouldn't have. But at least we have a more 'family centered' care unit now. BTW, I don't believe an autopsy was ever done so the cause of death is unknown. 
So what to do? 
Would side car bassinets help? Ones designed to be attached to hospital beds so that mom could bring baby over to feed and return to the bassinet easily? Not entirely. We are still left with the situation of mom falling asleep during the feed with babe in arms or skin to skin. 
How about if babes who are being kept skin to skin are in a proper kangaroo gown/tube top ala Nils Bergman? This might work as it would keep baby positioned high on mothers chest in a safe position even if she were to fall asleep. But this doesn't help if mom has her babe in a position for feeding lower down on her chest where suffocation might potentially be an issue (I know - incredibly rare but hospitals try to prevent being blamed for even rare events). 
What to do? Has anyone come close to tackling this conundrum at their hospital?
Meggie Ross, MSN, IBCLC
B.C., Canada

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2