From:
gonneke van veldhuizen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2011 00:56:52 -0700
I've been mulling around this topic a lot, wondering why a biological normal behavior (mother-infant togetherness with baby in a position that favors his neurological state, (see Colson's work) seems to be potential dangerous for quite some babies. I think the fact that the majority of women birthing in a hospital have received some kind of medication or treatment that will alter (the quality of) her wake-sleep states after delivery. For many this is topped up with too busy schedules with visitors and nursing/medical staff interruptions. It may very well be that in natural circumstances the Biological Nurturing positions (with or without skin contact) is the safest and most beneficial position for both mother and infant, but not if mom is drugged and/or over-tired.

I think safety will be inhabitance if visiting in the maternity ward is again restricted, perhaps like for ICU patients. For safe breastfeeding and dozing-off, I think moms should not be encouraged to breastfeed while sitting straight up, but reclining (not flat lying), with the bed-rails up and the space between mom and rails filled with pillows to rest her arms on. In that way her arms will form a cradle to safely hold her child.

Warmly,

Gonneke, IBCLC in PP, LC lecturer in southern Netherlands

Twitter @eurolacpuntnet