Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Michele Crockett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2011 09:57:34 -0700
While I am seeing many babies with tt in practice... it is my daughter's
personal experience that comes to my mind.  When her second child was born I
saw the anterior tt within 15 minutes of his birth as he began licking and
looking for the breast.  Despite my efforts to gently introduce her to a lot
of information and encouragement to have it clipped, she could not bear the
thought.  She has awesome breasts and nipples and by experimenting with
positioning she found a way to make sure baby got enough to eat however she
always had tender nipples (no visible damage).  BUT what I saw was a baby
who struggled with her milk flow, was always tense at the breast and never
could fall asleep at the breast...we all spent hours standing, bouncing and
stroking him to sleep.

At around 7-8 months he had a great deal of interest in foods, however, he
always choked on the first bite and then threw the food away and wouldn't
try anything else.  This continued until 9 months when my daughter called me
at work and said okay who should she take him to for evaluation and
frenotomy.  Fortunately I knew just who to call!  Due to our professional
relationship this MD was willing to do it in her office.  My daughter went
outside for the few seconds it took while I held him for the procedure.  She
zipped back in to nurse him within moments.

Later that night she called me and reported baby had fallen asleep at the
breast for the very first time!  Not to mention that for the first time my
daughter could nurse him laying down and get some much needed sleep
herself!  He had also 'thrown up' once.  With a few questions we both
realized that for the first time he could transfer so much more milk that he
overfed!  The next day he began eating solids happily.  This little guy is
now four years old and has many many issues around food...from taste to
texture to out and out fear of new foods (more than the usual toddler).  He
is well below 'normal' weight although consistent.  He clearly does not
enjoy eating or have much interest in food.  Of course, I cannot 'prove'
this is the result of his early experience with eating or learning negative
associations with the process or developing neuro responses...but I do
wonder.

My daughter had her third child now 18 months born with extreme tt both
anterior and posterior as well as the most extreme palate I have ever
seen---high and shaped front to back like a figure eight.  His first clip
was at 3 days with a deeper posterior clip at 7 weeks and several visits for
cranial-sacral work.  He still has a odd looking palate but definity no food
issues!  It's not science, I know.

My daughter has a great production and it did not apparently suffer due to
the tt or the constant discomfort my daughter had.  However, I have seen
many mothers where the milk production doesn't maintain without pumping.
Also my grandson was able to nurse better immediately after the frenotomy
even at 9 months which is uncommon.  Baby #3 took several weeks to get the
suck issues straightened out despite early intervention.  So just another
mom's experience.

Michele Crockett, IBCLC
Washington--the state