From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2011 17:12:44 +1100
Hi Senecca,
I published a paper in JHL some years ago on foster breastfeeding. If you would like to email me privately I can send you a copy. [log in to unmask]
Certainly some foster mums have asked for an being given official sanction to breastfeed children in their care. Many have also requested and been refused. Many don't ask and don't tell.
The question I pose in the paper was whether breastfeeding is part of normal care for infants or is it something that is special. If it is normal then not providing the opportunity for foster babies to breastfeed is accepting that substandard care is OK for already disadvantaged babies. I also ask, what harm can come of a foster mother breastfeeding?
I was in the situation where I was a foster mother and had a child who was extremely persistent in requesting to breastfeed. I sought guidance on what to do from the relevant authorities. They encouraged me not to allow it, not because breastfeeding was a problem in itself but because if they needed to go to court and me breastfeeding came up as an issue they were not confident that the judge would cope. Once parental rights were terminated that was no longer an issue though the state had parental responsibility for her and we were not yet her legal parents. I've got to tell you though, it was absolutely heart wrenching to have to refuse breastfeeding to a child who really, really wanted it- I'm thankful that her desire remained to a time where I could say, "yes, you can breastfeed now."
Karleen Gribble
Australia