From:
Dawn Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2011 18:38:20 -0500
It's been a busy year for breastfeeding in Brattleboro, Vermont.

At the beginning of the year, Sarah Lavigne, a talented local photographer,
www.lavignephoto.com/ was thrown off Facebook because of a photo she posted
of herself, breastfeeding her son. ("I don't even think I was showing
anything" she notes.) That led to a Bring Back Sarah Lavigne Group.

Two weeks ago, I posted about Michelle Stephens's editorial in the
Brattleboro Rerformer, lamenting Sarah's situation and discussing her
experiences, good and bad, nursing her daughter Elsa around town.(BTW, that
editorial had over 1,000 hits and was the most read story in that issue,
probably leading to....)

This week the Reformer ran a news story about Sarah's plight. She was
reinstated on Facebook....

Today Chandra Broussard, a local parent educator, featured breastfeeding
moms on her local (low power) radio program. Six nursing moms and seven
nurslings (one set of twins) came and nursed on the radio! Chandra and I
discussed the normalcy of breastfeeding.

Chandra's preschool daughter sang a song she wrote at age two about a little
black sheep who loves to nurse. And a darling mom and daughter, Carol and
Zoe, sang a song they wrote together, to the tune of "My Bonny lives over
the Ocean." The chorus ran, "Nursing mothers, nursing mothers, nursing
mothers feed the world, the world" and the last chorus ended, "Nursing
mothers rule the world!"

My heart is very full.

Dawn Kersula in Brattleboro, Vermont
(just south of Putney where the barns are collapsing from the weight of the
snow)