Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2011 21:08:11 +0100
I received a request for an opinion for a strange case.
The baby is now 15 months old, BF has always gone well, without any issue.
The child is still growing well, eating solids and happy. She may be
nursing 3-4 times a day.
Mother healthy and with no evident issues.
When the baby breasfeeds on one breast her breath semlls of oninon. On
the other side this does not happen.
Mother and father smelled breasts and tasted milk from both sides and
they say they cannot smell anything from the milk, nor any difference in
the milk.
The breath smells for long, even until the next feeding (on the other
side) and then stops smelling.

They talked with the pediatrician who has no clue and is not worried.

They are curious about how this could happen.

As much as I think of it I cannot think any reason related with
breastfeeding for which the child's breath can smell when she breastfeed
on one side and not on the other.

The only idea I arrived to, is that it may be something related to the
position of breastfeeding, rather tha BF itself.
At this point I would suggest to discuss it with the pediatrician again
because I have no idea if it could be something important or not.

But before this, I would appreciate your opinion on the situation.
Could you imagine a possible cause for onion smelling breast related to
breast milk or breastfeeding (on one side only)?
Or do you have any idea that could help?

The mother is not concerned, but it is a curious case, and I want to be
reasonably sure that I am not missing anything with regard to BF.

Thank you for your help,
Micaela
LLL Leader, Italy