Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2011 16:41:36 -0800
Sender:
From:
Susan Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Hello, I am a lactation consultant in a large (110-120 bed) level 3 NICU. We
have been using donor breastmilk in our NICU for a couple of years now, but we
are hoping to improve some of our processes. My manager has asked me to inquire
about what other NICU's in the USA are doing. Some questions we have are:

1. What criteria do you use to determine who gets donor milk? (Obviously our
first priority is use of Mom's milk and we are working to optimize that end of
it.) Is it a certain gestational age, weight? When do you wean off the donor
milk, and what is your weaning process? (If no MBM is available).

2. What is your procedure or process for ordering the donor milk? Who is
responsible for ordering it and who oversees the ordering? What processes are
used to maintain your supply? (What if a blizzard hits and supply shipment can't
reach you!)

3. What procedure or policy do you follow if donor milk is not available? Are
infant's made NPO?

Thank you in advance for any information you can share. I may be reached off
list if you wish.

Susan Watson, RN, BSN, IBCLC,RLC
NICU Nurse for 30 years, the last 10 as lactation consultant.