From:
Leanna Moore Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2011 22:29:41 -0800
Senecca,

I am on the Board of Directors and an Officer of a private foster care
non-profit in California.  I cannot imagine that this foster mother would be
allowed to breastfeed her foster child, even if she has plans to
adopt.......we see bio parents get reunified with their children even when
we are sure that they will be released for adoption.   The fact that the bio
mom has visitations shows that her rights have not yet been terminated.  The
foster mom is not, at this point, an adoptive mom.....she is a state
supervised caretaker.   I would caution her to get IN WRITING from her
agency social worker (if private) or her county social worker that she has
permission to breastfeed, or even feed breastmilk.   This could have a huge
impact on her future as a foster mother and the chance she has to adopt this
child if she is trying to do it "under the radar".   I guarantee that if she
were one of our clients, this mother would be decertified as a foster parent
IMMEDIATELY if we found out that she was breastfeeding this child secretly.
The bio mom's wishes have to be taken into consideration, and I would
imagine that a judge would have to OK this, as there is perceived risk of
injury (though we obviously see it as less risk than the judge/social worker
might).   She should be treading VERY CAREFULLY or she might lose a lot more
than she is willing to sacrifice.

Leanna Moore Watson, BS, CLEC
Exam 2011!!