From:
Sonya Shaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2011 10:16:06 -0500
Hello all,
I have permission to post about this client.  She tried for a long time to
get pregnant with her first child, and finally was successful with the help
of some fertility treatments.  The baby is now 18 months old and still
breastfeeding, but also eating lots of solids too.  The mom would like to
start trying to have another baby, and was told that she needed to wean
because she needs to take FSH and LH.  She does not really want to wean, but
on the other hand she really wants to have another child and doesn't want to
wait much longer because of her age.

Hale lists FSH as an L3, but says it is very unlikely to enter milk or be
orally available to the baby.  However, it may alter milk production because
of the hormonal changes in estrogen and progesterone.  It does not list LH,
but I called the Infant Risk Center and they the LH also will not affect the
baby, but that of course continuing to breastfeed can affect her ability to
become pregnant.

So, I am just trying to help her navigate this decision.  Have they told her
she needs to wean because the FSH and LH might not work as well if she is
still breastfeeding?  Because breastfeeding is still affecting her
hormonally and therefore to give it the best chance, she needs to wean?  Or
is it because it might decrease her supply?  Or something else?  Just trying
to help her make an informed decision.

Thanks for any information!
Best,
Sonya Shaver, BS, CHES, IBCLC