From:
Kerri Klugewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2011 23:39:44 -0500
So I've been a lurker here for a while (have learned a lot from you ladies!) and am chiming in on this one....

I've done several of these for high school and college students (both pregnant and not pregnant but as part of a health or child development curriculum). One suggestion I received from other LLL Leaders and found very helpful was to pass around slips of paper and a basket to collect them in - the teens could write down any questions they had during my presentation but were too embarrassed to ask out loud. I was told that many teens and young adults have questions that they fear are "strange" and don't want to ask in front of the rest of the class. This worked well - I had some out-loud questions and a bunch dropped in the basket so I could read & answer them for the class without anyone knowing who asked which question.

I was also reminded that teens are pretty self-centered - this is not a criticism; that's the normal biological stage they're in.  Other LLL Leaders and LCs I know suggested I focus more on the benefits to the mother herself (for example, not "your baby will be sick less often" but "you won't have to take your baby to the doctor and pay for medicines as often"). I also addressed the reality of their situation as students by discussing the option of partial breastfeeding a bit more than I normally would.  Typically, with an "average" group of (20s, 30s, 40s) pregnant moms, I strongly encourage exclusive breastfeeding and/or breastmilk feeding, of course. However, with girls of 15, 16 and 17, I thought it wise to avoid "all or nothing" pressure and let them know that ANY breastfeeding they can do will be important, even if grandma needs to formula-feed the baby while they're in school because there's no private place to pump, for example.

Another suggestion I received and can pass on was - *if* you're OK with this - allowing nursing teens to have your cell number or Facebook info so they can text you or message you with their breastfeeding questions, if they're not comfortable with phone calls - sort of a "use the method they prefer to meet them on their level" kind of thing.

Lastly, always bring treats!! LOL. The counselor coordinating the teen mom outreach program I spoke to most recently said that few girls (who have a choice whether to attend or not) will come unless she provides pizza for them.  So, I told her to advertise that I'd be baking some chocolate chip cookies for my class attendees!

Kerri Klugewicz
La Leche League Leader
Area Coordinator of Leaders, LLL of PA-East
aspiring private practice IBCLC, 2011 exam applicant