From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2011 08:49:35 +0000
Katherine

Home pasteurization of breastmilk is a very
simple method of rendering it safe from viral and
bacterial infections.  There are two methods, but
flash-heating has been shown to be easier - no
clocks, the mother knows the right temperature
has been reached when the water reaches a rolling
boil.  Flash-heating has also been shown to
conserve more of the immunological and nutritional properties.

1.  Pour between 50 ml - 150 ml of milk, into a clean glass jar.
2.  Put the jar in a pot containing ~450 ml of
cold water, but with the level of water two
finger-widths higher than the level of the milk in the jar.
3.  Flash-heating involves placing the uncovered
jar of milk into pot of water and heating it over
a cooking fire. Once the water boils, the milk is
immediately removed from the water and allowed to cool.
4. Pretoria Pasteurization involves boiling the
pot of water and then taking it off the heat. The
covered jar of milk is then placed in the hot
water for 20 minutes, and then removed and allowed to cool.

This is adapted from research by Kiersten Israel-
Ballard and Bridget Jeffery and written up by me
when I was at WABA.  For background info and
references, see Morrison P. Pasteurization of
breastmilk, WABALink Issue 39, Nov 2005 – Feb
2006, available at
<http://www.waba.org.my/resources/wabalink/pdf/Issue39/Insert1__WL39.pdf>http://www.waba.org.my/resources/wabalink/pdf/Issue39/Insert1__WL39.pdf

There's also a little more recent background
research, with pictures of Kiersten's studies, on
the WABA site at http://www.waba.org.my/whatwedo/hiv/7heattreatedbreastmilk.htm

Hope this helps.  Sing out if you need more info.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England