Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:41:21 EDT
Geneva,

I did a bit of reading about psoriasis before writing this and discovered
that among the causes of psoriasis outbreaks are an immune system
compromise,  for example stress increase, irritation to skin (possibly swelling of her
feet?  nipples rubbing against her bra?) and low levels of calcium.  I'm
wondering  about this mom's diet and overall health and whether she could see
a naturopath  or nutritionist.  Also, complimentary treatments, such as
acupuncture, CST  or chiropractic to treat underlying causes of nervous system
malfunction.   Topically, from a natural approach I found a cream that
contains among several  other things, coconut oil which by itself could be applied
safely to nipples now  and when breastfeeding.  Bee propolis was another
ingredient in this cream  so sterile manuka wound honey (available online) and
used medically in the form  of dressings, might also be an approach.  I
always feel that topical  treatments in and of themselves are band-aid
approaches and what occurs  systemically needs to be addressed, as well.  You might
want to post on the  herbalist/LC site to gain insight from some of the
herbalists in  this group,
_bfg-herbsdiscussion@yahoogroup_ (mailto:bfg-herbsdiscussion@yahoogroup) .

Poor mom to have gone through two previous pregnancies and babies without
some solution.  I wonder if a nipple shield coated on the inside with say
coconut oil might enable her to not experience friction and pain and be able
to  breastfeed.  I don't know enough about psoriasis to predict how long a
course of systemic or even topical treatment would normally take, but if
she's  due soon, beginning treatments now would be wise.
Let us know about her progress, please, as I'm interested in  learning.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC