Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2010 11:01:48 -0400
(This is  another message sent by email that apparently disappeared
between my computer and BEE-L.  It did not appear either on the list
or in the modeation queue, so I am posting it by visiting BEE-L.org
and choosing "Post new Message" from the menu at right.  Somehow
email is lost fairly often but this web page always works.  (My previous
email this morning went through just fine).  Anyone having problems
posting or subscribing are advised to visit BEE-L.org and use the web
pages for reading or posting to the list).

The lost message follows:
---

With the talk of chemicals like sodium hypochlorite for comb sterilization,
I am wondering, why not UV?

UV is used for drinking water sterilization and is simply another form of
radiation.  I have no idea on the dosage and time required to affect nosema
or AFB spores, but could this be an option?

I can envision a conveyor carrying combs slowly by a set of powerful lights
arranged like knives or flails.  In fact standard extraction line conveyors
could conceivably be utilized off-season to treat empty brood combs if this
idea is practical.

As time passes, and technology improves, ideas which might have been
impractical become feasible.

This idea started with consideration of the various radiation methods used
to disinfect brood comb. Particles (waves) of various sizes (wavelengths)
have been employed.  Electron beams have been found to be optimal, with some
other, larger particles having proven to have adverse effects on the
equipment lifespan due to softening of wood on repeated passes through the
beam.

Since electron beams are expensive and difficult to use, I began to wonder
about X-rays.  We can make those easily with a Crookes tube and X-ray units
are everywhere.  (In Mexico, dental receptionists approach walk-ins with a
unit the size of a handheld hair dryer and take dental shots quite casually,
without any lead shielding and often without charge).

Then I realised that there could be regulatory problems with X-rays in
developed nations and some risks to operators if dosages and shielding does
not meet strict standards which might be hard to meet or expensive, so I
went down the spectrum a bit and realised that UV is used to disinfect lake
water at a friend's cottage.

Apparently strong, inexpensive UV sources are now available.  Whether or not
they are cheap and powerful enough for our purposes, I have no idea, but if
UV works, it is unregulated and quite safe with minimal shielding and
precautions.  Ozone might be an issue with powerful sources, but outside
California that should not be a big issue.

Does anyone have more information about UV and whether using it to disinfect
bee equipment is practical?

(Side note: AFB scale glows quite distinctly in black light and that is a
good diagnostic if bright light is unavailable).