From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:25:48 -0400
My quick skim of this statement a few days ago raised my antennae - 1) the
statement is at odds with the AAP's own statement on breastfeeding/use of
human milk; 2) there's no acknowledgment (or perhaps there's a major
knowledge deficit on committee members' parts) of the increased
bioavailability of the iron in human milk; 3) it wasn't clear what type of
variables were used to screen infants in the research reports used to come
up with this recommendation; 4) it's fairly easy to screen for
iron-sufficiency and possible deficiency can be referred for more conclusive
testing; 5) a formula company makes most of the vitamin/mineral
supplements for infants prescribed by a large number (the majority) of USA
pediatricians. (BTW, these liquids also include unnecessary preservatives,
flavorings, etc.)

Why in the world would I want to give an iron supplement to my baby or
suggest another mother do likewise -- and possibly interfere with the job of
the lactoferrin in mom's milk (
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1626933/pdf/archdisch00780-0009.pdf)
-- without lab evidence of a deficiency? This rec does not make sense to me
and my cynicism re: AAP and relationship with formula companies raises lots
of uncomfortable questions...

Karen Gromada
www.karengromada.com/