Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2010 07:01:28 -0400
Please check your Subject Lines, folks.  This one has contained gibberish
through many replies.
---

> I could continue but to what purpose? The pro Bayer camp will never admit
> to any doubt and the anti-neonicotinoid movement does not have the
> propaganda machinery that Bayer has.

And what about the rest of us who are interested in objective truth and are
on neither side and don't even think there should be sides in this issue?

I am so tired of these questions being a political football and eliciting
knee-jerk reactions.

The issues are complex and some are not amenable to resolution with the
data -- or lack of data -- at present.  It seems that people are lobbing
opinions at one another.

The biggest problem IMO, though is that many of the polarised folks do not
agree on definitions or even on what the debate is about.

When the basic questions are isolated and definitions are agreed, there is
much less disagreement on the facts and reasonable conclusions on each
point.

At that point, though, personal philosophical differences emerge and
opinions diverge widely.  The issue becomes an ink blot test and the
positions say more about individual psychology than the issues.

On BEE-L, hopefully, discussion should address the issues and facts
objectively and impersonally.  Hopefully, we avoid sloganeering and
accusations of bias.