Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2010 12:51:03 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
As the year comes to a close, I want to alert Lactnetters and others to two books that really caught my interest this year. Perhaps there is yet time to think about either or both for gifting, for others, or for yourself.

The first is "Tongue-Tie: Morphogenesis, Impact, Assessment and Treatment" by Allison Hazelbaker. It seemed so thorough, especially in surveying all the different theories uner which HCP's have been trained at various times in history and various places all over the world. It was so interesting that it "invited" me to understand, yet is scholarly enough for any person in any discipline to gain a vast amount of insight. I am hoping in particular that, via professional book budget or "outreach efforts" of BF support groups, copies might "appear" in hospital nurseries and/or pediatrician's and other physician's offices so that the "culture lag" may be swiftly overcome, for the sake of moms and babies. I plan to loan my copy to my own dentist too.

The second is "The Nipple and Areola in Breastfeeding and Lactation", by Marsha Walker. This is the book I have been writing in my own fantasies for over 35 years;-) Only much better! That's not to say that there aren't things I don't quite agree with, but this well-researched and clearly written book is more than enough to wake me up to the fact that I should probably seek for my own "professional literary calling" in a slightly different direction. Maybe I could try to come up with something that she might want to include in her next edition;-)

All in all, two gems full of insights for IBCLC's and everyone else who works in this field.

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer LC, Dayton OH

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2