From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:03:12 -0500
Dear Linda, I hope this very sick mother is getting better now. I don't have
any answers for you re the sedation's effect on milk hormones and milk
production. Certainly it seems logical it can have a damping effect on the
pituitary and on mom's awareness of and interaction with her baby. Of course
this affects lactation performance. But more to the point, this mother is
still critically ill, and had a near death experience. Yes, the blood loss
can have an affect on pituitary. Hypotension/shock obviously occurred. Now
she is needing diuretics and remains on ventilator, restless and agitated.
This mother is very very ill.
When mother and baby cannot happily begin breastfeeding, as you know, this
can lead to low supply. Add to this the critical illness and unavoidable
separation and inability to bf, and you are not surprisingly facing low
supply. The mother's life and good health are paramount. So glad this baby
is getting human milk. My suggestion would be to continue that arrangement
obviously, facilitate as much contact with baby as mom is able to do,
continue breast expression as much as able to do. Once mom recovers, I would
explore a lactation aid and galactagogues. I believe it will be a long-term
situation with building a supply, and may in fact, never achieve a full
supply for an infant. So I would help mom focus on the bf relationship, not
the ultimate supply.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA