Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2010 04:33:39 -0700
From: Bob Darrell: "My best production ever was from 6 hives in the middle of 20
acres of  red clover.  I think that if the level of the nectar in the floweret
is  high enough Apis M can work it."

Think I heard (hearsay) that the Caucasian and Carniolans have tongues long
enough to work red clover, but the Italians don't.  I'm gonna try to find out
next spring.  Fellow wants me to bring bees over to his place, has a lot of red
top clover.  I just got one Carniolan queen.  I'll take her hive and two or
three Italians over and do a rough comparison.   I know that's not a significant
number, but it might give a hint.

Mike in LA