From:
Catherine W Genna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 20:37:05 EDT
Jan,
Many LC's here in NYC swear that pitocin induction has deleterious effects on
breastfeeding, particulary the initiation of copious milk production.  Pitocin
is a synthetic form of oxytocin, which is involved in milk ejection, an RN, LLL
Leader friend hypothesized that the relatively large dose of oxytocin given to
induce labor in the absence of uterine oxytocin receptors might overload the
system, desentizing the mom to her endogenous oxytocin thereafter.  Think it
makes sense.
        I will look for the flat nipples.  I did see a 5th time mom yesterday
having difficulty for the first time.  She was induced for this birth based on a
"failed" non-stress test.  Had never had any intervention in previous births.
This baby lost over 1 lb in first week of life and took another week to begin
regaining slowly.  Also sucked poorly.  Now baby is 1 month old, and I could see
the healing cracks on the nipple tips, they must have been very deep as mom says
they have not been sore for 2 weeks.  Probably more significantly, there was a
24 hour separation between the birth and breastfeeding initiation cause mom had
a d&c for removal of the placenta, which did not deliver after an attempt to bf,
and uterine massage.
        It's enough to make detectives out of us all!
Catherine Watson Genna, IBCLC, NYC, mom of Vinny(8) & Alyssa(5) [had to get them
in as I did not in my original intro].