From:
Virginia Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2010 18:22:24 +1000
On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:49:39 -0800 Jessica Claire, LLLL, wrote:

"Kick the bucket" is a humorous way to say "drop dead" in (American?)
English.  A "bucket list" is a list of things to do before one dies.  A BIG
WISH list, I suppose.

Jessica, "kick the bucket" is also a colloquial term for "die" in Australian
English, as in "He finally kicked the bucket last week."  It's a bit
old-fashioned. Although I've not encountered the term "bucket" list in this
meaning, except in reviews of the film of that name, here's my list of 3
items:

(1) I'd love to see mothers in the Australian community realise that they
can breastfeed with just a pair of breasts (or even one), and that pumps and
bottles and teats are not essential to the breastfeeding mother and baby in
normal circumstances. The idea that bottles were an essential purchase for
breastfeeding mothers was a problem 40+ years ago (back then because water
and juice was being ordered by the nurses who controlled infant feeding).
Now this idea is back to haunt us in a different guise.  Quite apart from
potential suck confusion, use of pumps places the focus onto milliliters (or
ounces in some countries) and not on infant cues. Australians still think
bottles when they think babies.

So the first item on my bucket list is that the community will take that
leap of faith (shock! horror!) and realise that mothers and babies can get
breastfeeding right with nothing other than the breast, just the bare
breast. That it's okay to give just the breast, and they're not depriving
their babies.

(2) I guess a second item for the list would be that women begin to see
lactation consultants early when they have a breastfeeding challenge rather
than waiting.  This has improved since I started out in this profession, but
I still see the occasional mother who has endured pain stoically for months.

(3) A third item would be for health funds to reimburse for lactation
services by LCs in private practice on the basis of the IBCLC credential,
not midwifery or RN credentials (with or without the IBCLC).  This would
make our services more affordable to the community.

It has been good to be back on lactnet, and to experience the sharing and
warmth of this list.  However, because of pressure of work and little time
to read messages, I am going "nomail" this evening.  So, please copy any
replies to me privately.

Virginia

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA

Private practice lactation consultant

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

E: [log in to unmask]