From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2011 10:39:23 +1100
This is the thing...foster parents are placed in a very difficult situation
where they often have to choose between what a child needs and what is OK by
the system. There are jurisdictions where carers are not allowed to hug a
child ventral surface to ventral surface. There are jurisdictions where, not
matter how traumatised a child is the foster carer is not allowed to go into
their room during the night. Sometimes following the letter of each rule
prevents carers from providing the care a child needs. Now, I'm not saying
that this is the case in the scenario which is presented but I can see where
"breaking the rules" is sometimes necessary and I can see where permission
might not have been asked for or given for breastfeeding and yet it is right
that it happen. A real case, the  case presented in "The Spirit Catches You
and You Fall Down" where the foster carer both breastfed and coslept with a
toddler who had been removed from her mother for medical neglect- the foster
carer was the only one in this tragic story who met the child and the family
where they were at and there is no doubt in my mind that she did the right
thing.

As I mentioned previously, we have been foster parents- but did so
unexpectedly and without any training. I plan to do the training sometime
this year so that I can learn what rules we broke ;-) One rule I know that I
broke (and I know I broke this one because I had to sign an undertaking to
do this) was that I did not change the sheets on my foster child's bed ever
week...funnily enough there were more important things to do.  Child
protection agencies are rather bad at parenting children.

Karleen Gribble
Australia