From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2010 22:33:33 -0600
Hi Lisa, Congratulations! Your worries are typical of many other moms.
You have gotten some great responses. I agree with many of them. My
first thought is to feed more often. Let the baby live on you for now.
I am wondering if she was in any way early (like before 39 or 40 wks)
or was your labor induced for any reason? Breast compression helps, as
does what I call switch nursing, which is to arouse and switch baby to
the other breast if she is falling asleep and not really transferring
milk. (Please note, this is not necessary to do for all babies, it's
just a tactic for sleepy ones or ones who just 'hang out.'). Also,
remember, the pees and poops are one indication of how bf is going,
but they are not the final word. I'm glad you are having baby weighed
again in a week.

I agree with another poster, you probably don't need herbs or pump,
but I think herbs are the lesser of the 2 'evils.' If you have already
pumped milk, I personally would just spoon it to baby here and there
in between feeds or to 'jump start' the baby if needed.

If things don't feel like they are turning the corner, could you have
a chat with a trusted counselor, who maybe has more experience than
you and is not in the throes of new motherhood? Just had a mom in my
bf class who had all kinds of problems with first baby, and also
started estrogen birth control pills as soon as was discharged from
hospital. She didn't know it was an issue, and that's why Gail went
through all those questions in her post. If things don't turn around
easily, then more detective work is needed.
I bet you'll be surprised what alot of feeding can do -- so clear your
calendar and just go for it!
laurie
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA