From:
Jodie Lucci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:56:20 -0400
I imagine very few.  But as some of the other posts suggested it's not necessarily what we say or do, but through what lens the mother receives it and that lens is colored by her experience in her macro & micro culture.

An anecdote that illustrates this:  My cousin (through marriage) and I had our first babies at the same time.  We both had boys and saw the same family doctor.  I breastfed, she didn't intend to and didn't attempt to, I coslept, she used a crib in a different room.  Other than the fact that we were both loving, caring and conscientious , our parenting styles differed at almost every point.  Yet we both felt defensive with this Doctor over almost any question or statement he made.  It wasn't the doctor, it was us being overwhelmed and unsure of ourselves. My ability to hear his actual words, without attaching a nonexistent layer of meaning, was much improved with my second baby.

Jodie in NH