Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:38:46 +0100
>Dear Morgan and Heather,
>He doesn't have any evidence except that of his observations with his
>patients. I did ask why he thinks this way and he said because this is what
>he is seeing with his patients.

It is possible that he sees families where there is a lack of
maturity and patience - for example, the father may object to the
mother continuing to breastfeed. The mother may choose to put her and
her baby's needs and preferences over and above the father's
objections.  This may lead to the father objecting to the mother
ignoring his wishes. All this will affect the family dynamics the
doctor is concerned with.

It's not that *breastfeeding* is causing the 'problem'.

I have observed this a few times - sometimes the father is supported
by his own mother, and it may even be his mother who is objecting in
the first place.

In some families, there is a massive amount of pressure put on the
mother not to breastfeed at all or not even beyond the first days and
weeks. The mother is told she is being 'selfish' in not 'sharing' the
baby with others.  Families may say they would be delighted to have
the baby stay over-night, if only the baby was not being breastfed. I
have supported  mothers who have been told that if they do not stop
breastfeeding, the family will cut off contact, or where continued
breastfeeding is a source of great tension and argument. The father
of the baby may take sides with the objectors, and not his partner.

Again, the family dynamic will be affected by this conflict.

But again, none of this means that breastfeeding should stop.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK

--
http://www.heatherwelford.co.uk