Date:
Tue, 4 May 2010 23:46:32 +0100
>This is too close to home and I'm too far away!
>Background: my grandson born Wed 4/28 at 9pm, 8lb 7oz. Discharged on
>Sat at 7lb 10oz. Mom on no meds, no hx of menstral or hormonal
>issues although she was a premie herself. Baby born without drugs.
>Breastfed immediately. Large meconium stools, no jaundice. Mom felt
>milk come in with softening after feeds beginning on Sat evening.
>Sunday 4poops/24hrs yellow in color. Baby has been feeding often but
>feeds vary sometimes last only 3-5min before he falls asleep,
>sometimes 45min and then he sleeps almost 2hrs. Feeding >10x/24hrs.
>They use no pacifiers or bottles. Mom not sore, thinks baby is
>feeding well but often sleepy and then fusses to go back but only
>nurses a few minutes. Recommended compressions to help keep baby
>alert. Went to first pedi appt today and although pooping and peeing
>is OK only gained 1oz from discharge wt. He is officially 5.5days
>old. I suggested pre/post wts to them and to be evaluated by local
>LC group but they want to wait until I come home. Am I prematurely
>anxious?

Don't know if this helps at all, Ilene, but in the UK this would be
seen as a healthily growing breastfed baby....his normal post-birth
weight loss has ceased, prob sometime round day 4-5, and he has
started to gain.  He is feeding ad lib, with varying amounts of time
on the breast followed by contented sleeping.

We have been round this particular block before, and not everyone is
with me on Lactnet, but there is no way anyone would suggest
pre-/post weights....why? The baby is feeding well, growing normally,
and producing normal, healthy urine and stools. We wouldn't suggest
compression either - no reason to as the baby is doing well without
it :)

The mother and the baby need to stay close together and grow in
confidence together; any interferences, including evaluations by
someone peering at them ;) ,  risk reducing this confidence and there
is no need for interferences (on the info here) 'cos the baby is
normal, healthy, feeding and growing and eliminating normally.

Of course it would make sense to schedule a routine weighing and an
observation of a feed, if needed,  for a few days time - the same as
any baby.

Just MHO.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK