Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:35:19 -0700
Dear Norma,  what sad news!  Tine certainly has made a difference through
her book, The Family Bed.  I remember an interview on the Donahue Show which
featured Tine, Dr. Mendelsohn and a psychiatrist and the debate was "should
children sleep with their parents?"  Tine made her points first, the
psychiatrist argued strenuously that children would be emotionally scarred
if they were kept in the family bed, and, then, it was Dr. Mendelson's turn.
He said "I agree with both the previous speakers.  Every child should be
sleeping with the parents unless one of the parents happens to be a
psychiatrist and, then, they might be emotionally messed up by sleeping with
him or her."  (that's a paraphrase, I don't have his exact quote).  It was
so funny.

I never knew her but I am feeling the loss of a woman who spoke her truth.
Best regards, Gloria Lemay, Vancouver BC

http://www.glorialemay.com/blog

We mourn the death of La Leche League Leader, Tine Thevenin, aged only 68.

She influenced two generations with her best-selling self-published book,
"The Family Bed: An Age Old Concept in Child Rearing." It sold over 150,000
copies and was translated into Dutch and German. In 1993, she came out with
a second book on child rearing: "Mothering and

Fathering: The Gender Differences in Child Rearing."

http://www.republican-eagle.com/event/article/id/67362/

Norma Ritter, IBCLC, RLC

Breastfeeding Matters in the Capital Region www.NormaRitter.com