From:
"Julia R. Barrett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2010 08:48:43 -0500
Pamela A Hendrix <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I have sent two emails inquiring how to write an article for the
>Journal of Human Lactation.  There are 5 of us at my hospital who
>have collected data on a phenomenology study.  We are at the point
>we need to write but haven't a clue where to begin.  I presented to
>the S. Florida Nursing Magnet conference with a powerpoint
>presentaton.  One of the team members has a podium and poster
>presentation at the upcoming Lamaze conference. We will probably
>start with a writing to the AWHONN journal (if accepted, of course)
>but I am hoping also to submit eventually to JHL.
>
>Does anyone have a phone number, email or website that I can get all
>of the info on the writing process or who I could speak to
>regarding.  I have never been involved in research before (never
>thought I would!) so I would REALLY appreciate any help as I haven't
>heard a word from my two emails.

I'm sorry if I'm repeating what someone else has already advised (I'm
on digest). I'd suggest starting at
<http://www.sagepub.com/journalsProdManSub.nav?prodId=Journal201341>,
which details the guidelines for length, content, and style.
Following those guidelines will help you get started by creating the
bare bones of the article. You can flesh it out once you've got the
basic, essential information down. The hardest part of writing (in my
opinion) is getting started!

I'd also suggest looking at current issues to get an idea of how
articles are laid out in terms of information depth and flow. Don't
worry about replicating the look of a published article, by the way.
Unless otherwise requested, go with 12-point type, 1-inch margins all
around, and double-spacing. Follow journal style on references,
statistics, abstract, and so on (e.g., follow how things are
capitalized, abbreviated, and italicized).

If you've got a lot of references, you might find it reference
management software such as EndNote useful. You don't have to use it
(many authors don't), but it does make keeping track of references
and citations easier. And, of course, make sure all information in
the paper that comes from other sources is attributed.

After you've gotten a final draft that the five of you are happy
with, ask a colleague not involved with the study to give the
manuscript a critical read through (and remember to thank that person
in your acknowledgment section). Before submitting, give the article
a final read-through to make sure all of the journal guidelines are
met and that all of the references are cited.

Good luck!

regards,
Julia

Julia R. Barrett, MS, ELS
Science Writer & Editor in the Life Sciences
Madison, Wisconsin