From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2010 20:47:32 +0100
Dear Wise Ones,

I'm looking for a short, pithy quote, on the subject of why the hormone
release from breastfeeding, may make a mother feel emotionally
vulnerable and/or compliant with those around her.  I've heard, and
read, quotes that the oxytocin release from birth, not only intensifies
the mother's reaction to her baby, but it also makes her more trusting,
and therefore more compliant, to those around her.

This makes perfect sense to me, that a mother will be flooded with
hormones that keep her attached both to the baby, and somewhat
emotionally vulnerable to the care-givers around her, as a mother would
need support from other adults around her, to care adequately for her
baby, and would therefore be prone to try and respond positively to
those around her.

I'm seeking a quote on this on breastfeeding, and the hormone release,
particularly for the first few weeks of breastfeeding, as a way of
examining how the biology would make a mother more prone to being
sensitive to the views and opinions of those around her, whilst at the
same time feeling anxious she is doing 'good enough' for her child.
That in a hostile environment, it may make her more fearful of
breastfeeding in public spaces.

I hope that makes sense.  I know what I'm trying to say!  So I'm hoping
someone else has said it, with a bit more clarity and some nice
credentialled authority, first!  :-)

I have limited access to texts and journals, so I'd appreciate the
actual quote, if the cite you give isn't online freely.  I know if I can
find this anywhere, I can find here, with you all!

:-)

Thanks in advance,

Morgan Gallagher