Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2010 18:22:06 +1000
7bit
From:
Virginia Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:

Hi Peggy, I second the idea of hand expression for this mother.  In addition
to the comprehensive suggestions Laurie Wheeler has posted (which I don't
need to repeat), I would see disinfecting relevant components of any pump as
an issue, whether the nipples have a bacterial infection, or bacterial
infection complicated by yeast.  Hand expression is likely to be gentler,
and mothers who learn this well can be efficient.  With any nipple/areola
infection, basics such as hand hygiene, appropriate laundering of the parts
of the bra in contact with her nipples, use of disposable breast pads, are
all relevant in this situation.  Though these matters are really basic, they
can easily be overlooked by mothers unless discussed.

Virginia

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA

Private Practice Lactation Consultant

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

E: [log in to unmask]