From:
Elizabeth Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2010 07:15:04 -0400
I'd venture your insurance got cancelled not because of any increased risk
caused by *you,* but rather by the whole lump of "others" into which they
place you.  It's all about the money baby --  and your own individual
Perfect Behaviors will not save you from rate increases or cancellation if
the Insurance Guys decide that that take in less money in your neck of the
woods than they pay out.  As IBCLCs we are usually the "tag-alongs" being
shoe-horned onto professional liability (a.k.a. malpractice) insurance
designed for another allied healthcare profession, so we have very little
bargaining power.

Members of ILCA who live in the USA are automaticlaly members of USLCA.
Professional liability insurance is offered thru USLCA for IBCLCs at a very
affordable price.  Even if you have to join ILCA/USLCA ($150) to get
the insurance ($109-$120) that is probably LESS than you currently pay for
insurance alone by another provider.  The USLCA provider also offerse (very
modest) coverage for your business.  Go to http://www.uslcaonline.org/ and
click the appropriate button along the left column.
--
Liz Brooks JD IBCLC FILCA, ILCA Secy 2005-11 and proud USLCA member
Wyndmoor, PA, USA