Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 17:56:59 EDT
I have been holding back as this has been discussed many times  before.

Neonatologists are learning, slowly, but learning, that human milk is the
standard of care for ALL infants, not just preterm infants.  They are
unlearning that faster growth is always better.  Formula and formula  as
fortifier does give faster growth, primarily because of the additional  protein,
calcium and phosphorus.

The current evidence says:
-human milk is the standard of care, but may not be sufficient for optimal
growth and brain development for the VLBW infant. Too slow growth in the
NICU is  associated with poor brain growth, lower IQ and increased CP
--human milk (even given the difference in "preterm milk") protein is too
low to support optimal growth and brain development in preterm infants - it
was  meant for term infants
-Increasing the volume of human milk helps, but is not sufficient for some
infants
- the ideal fortifier would be made from human milk, and is available - not
 perfect and way too expensive at $6.25/mL - so not universally available.

I agree that too much fortifier is being used.  Until we have good
evidence of exactly which babies need it and for how long, docs are reluctant to
limit the use, for fear of impairing brain growth and long term optimal
outcome.

Nancy
Nancy E. Wight MD, IBCLC, FABM,  FAAP
Neonatologist
Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women and Rady Children's  Hospital San Diego
Medical Director, Sharp HealthCare Lactation  Services
San Diego, CA