From:
natalie hessell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 15:17:15 -0800
"On a personal note, my son has posterior type 4 and nursing him was a
long and difficult journey. (well worth it, of course!). He is now 10
1/2 years old (weaned at age 4) and begins orthodontic treatment this
spring. His speech articulation has always been fine, however he does
have other learning disabilities (dyslexia/dysgrapha). Anyone else
seeing these types of outcome in older tongue-tied kids? (orthodontia
is a given--I am seeking information on learning differences
necessitating intervention. )"

My 1st child also has tt.  He is nearly 12.  I didn't know what it was, though I noticed it when he was a baby.  I pointed in out to the ped at 18m and it is very noticeable.  I always think of tt when helping moms with soreness, latch, gaining, especially, realizing no one else may have checked for it.  Anyway, we never tx it.  I had soreness for a few weeks (if that long), but not too bad.  He grew very well, bf often,  and bf til he was 4.  Related to his tt, he speaks pretty well, but there could be some pronunciation differences related to it, especially when he was younger.  His teeth are great, and straight.  He has been a chronic bedwetter (won't tell him I am sharing),  and I remember Catherine Gemma Watson several years ago saying there is a link between the two.  It does get better with time.  I highly suspect a high functioning autism and  he does have learning differences (disabilities to others), and eczema/asthma not sure
 how they would go together with tt.

 I feel that if it causes a bf problem that is really detrimental to bf then see about clipping it, if not, from my experience, you can bf with it. ( Maybe I have just very stretchy tissue.)  Where I live it can be very difficult to get it clipped, so maybe I just have to believe it can be lived with.  What did humans do in the past, did these babies and moms just compensate and go on, did some die or not gain well.  It seems fairly common now, I am guessing it was somewhat common in the past as well.  I know, maybe we are "letting" those with tt survive/reproduce and it is more common, genetically because of  modern practices.  Still, tt can't be completely out of the norm, or universally incompatible with bf.

Natalie Hessell
LLLL, CLC