Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 2009 08:42:23 +0800
From:
Jenny Doncon <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
I find it fascinating that they can claim that pumping is best for mum
and baby.  Having breastfed 3 babies and breastmilk fed 1 I can say
that pumping is much harder on mum that breastfeeding is.  Basically
when expressing, you are feeding the baby twice, once when you
express, and to maintain full supply you need to spend at least 2
hours if not 3 per day attached to the pump.  This is if you aren't
breastfeeding at all, even with a lot of skin to skin time.  Then you
also have to feed your baby, probably another 2 or 3 hours per day, so
you are spending about 6 hours per day fussing around with breast
milk, 3 of which are keeping you away from your baby.  So exclusive
expressing is not best for mum, and because it seperates mum and bub
for at least 2 maybe 3 or more hours a day, you can't call it best for
bub either.

Jenny

Jenny Doncon
Breastfeeding Counsellor, IBCLC, Australia

(read my expressing story here: http://www.lrc.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41257
  and my weaning diary here http://www.lrc.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40015)