From:
Karen Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2010 13:06:58 -0500
Christine,

This is an easy one. There is a TON of research available regarding the remaining active properties of human milk after heating. HMBANA milk banks use the Holder method of pasteurization. The definition of Holder method is heating the milk to 62.5 degrees C for 30 minutes.

Nearly all active properties remain in human milk after Holder pasteurization, in varying levels. For example, immunoglobulins remain between 39% to 150% (yes, some actually rise after heating). Enzymes, between 27% and 400%. Vitamins, between 60% and 110%. The variance in these numbers refers to the specific property you are looking at and which study you refer to. After crunching the numbers, we teach that milk from a HMBANA milk bank retains an average of 90% of active properties such as immunoglobulins and enzymes. You may contact me or HMBANA for citations if needed.

So the great news is that pasteurized milk (Holder method) is NOT AT ALL a dead substance. Please re-inform anyone to whom you have said otherwise.

One of the miracles of donor human milk is that is can be used as an immunotherapy in babies and older recipients with immune deficiencies. As little as 4-6 oz per day is considered a therapeutic dose. This is testament to the live, active properties that pasteurized donor milk contains.

Great question, Christine! I'm always happy for an opportunity to educate about milk banking.

Karen Wilson, RN, IBCLC
Program Development Coordinator

Mother's Milk Bank of Denver
1719 E. 19th Avenue