From:
Christine Bussman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2010 10:04:30 -0600
The various threads related to this topic recently have me wondering,
how much study has actually been done on the health effects of
pasteurized breast milk?  If we take direct breastfeeding of the
mother's own milk as the standard, then what are the risks of mother's
milk in a bottle?  Even more so, what are the risks of pasteurized milk
in that bottle, considering that pasteurization kills all the enzymes
and all the live immune components.

My own (unconsidered) opinion has been that pasteurized breast milk is
basically the very best 'formula'.  It has a perfect balance of
nutrients that makers of formula are always striving for (if we give
them the benefit of the doubt), but not much else.  I'm wondering if the
scientific studies agree with this, or if there are perhaps some immune
components that are not killed off by pasteurization.

Also, does anyone know if all milk banks pasteurize the milk?

Christine Bussman, LLLL