Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 12:12:00 -0800
Both my kids are tt'd - my son has a type 1 classic tt I never had a problem with. He sucked like a pro from the first time and I had only some minor discomfort for the first 3-4 days, but no nipple trauma. He gained like a champ even while nursing on one side only on a 3-hour schedule (I didn't know anything about bf then and our bf relationship ended when he got his first growth spurt and I thought I had lost my milk).

My daughter has a type 2 tt and had my nipples bleeding for the whole first month, but the pain and injury went away after that and we nursed until she was 4 and self-weaned. Her tt is still not corrected because I didn't know then what I know now, but I plan to do it when she starts to lose her milk teeth.

I have had some moms who never suspected their babies were tt'd until they started getting repeated plugs and mastitis around the 4-5 month mark and the tt was identified and corrected which resolved the problems.

So I think tt's are always a problem - but in some cases the parents may choose to not treat them right away.

Christina Yaneva
BF Peer Councellor
Bulgaria