Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2009 03:46:38 -0700
7bit
From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
Tara - GOOD JOB!

I work closely with WIC as a Public Health Nurse - and we would be in a BIG
crisis if it were not for the pumps we can access through WIC.

I'm sorry that others assumed you had not provided appropriate IBCLC
services IN ADDITION to getting her access to a good pump - but we have this
happen so often we are spoiled in our county - in fact, it's hard to work
when WIC is closed for Holidays or meetings!

Our low-income women cannot afford to rent a pump - and although MediCal
will pay for pump rental, most of those who rent pumps don't meet the
criteria to be MediCal Durable Medical Equipment (DME) providers
(incorporated, have a separate place of business, etc.).

Our WIC office staff DOES provide instruction on how to use the pump, but we
still find that we still need to have the mom use it in her home during our
home visits, as it can be overwhelming/frightening.

Lactnet can be very frustrating - on the one hand, we want to make
comments/address issues/request input - on the other hand, we don't have
time to compose long descriptions of everything we did/tried (and we're also
asked NOT to make long messages).

Thanks for your message!  One of my BIG passions is the need for
collaboration/communication among everyone that provides prenatal, hospital
and postpartum care.  So many issues would be resolved for the MOMS if we
just talked to each other!

Even the "no tengo leche" can be more effectively addressed if, in the
prenatal visits, the mother is educated about the fact that "TIENES LECHE"
during the pregnancy - and then the same message is relayed to her
consistently in the hospital.  However, many times moms are told by some -
"you can/do have milk" and by others - "well, it looks like your baby is
very hungry, maybe you should."

Communicate!  Collaborate!  Reach out!

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC

Vacaville, CA, USA