From:
Jacquie Nutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2010 15:24:49 +0200
Thanks Ann.  BTW for those still to open them, the links were identical, but
it's easy enough to search for the oxytocin article.

A glaring question - were the mothers breastfeeding?  It seems intuitive
that fathers have some oxytocin.  Hard to believe that a non-lactating male
(or female) would produce the as much oxytocin as a lactating mother.
Interesting thought!

Can anyone on Lactnet access the original article in Biol Psychiatry.
2010;68:377-382.?   I'm wondering how poor parents are to fit in all the
"straight after childbirth time" they are being urged to have.

'This finding "emphasizes the importance of providing opportunities for
father-infant interactions immediately after childbirth in order to trigger
the neuro-hormonal system that underlies bond formation in humans," said
corresponding author Ruth Feldman, PhD, from Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan,
Israel, in a release.'

I agree, of course, but it seems to me that birthing then has to be done in
a family centred setting without all the medical stuff and measuring that
goes on that has in the past hindered early mother-child contact.  Will this
research be used to keep mothers away from their babies yet again?

Jacquie Nutt IBCLC
South Africa