Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 2009 22:07:46 EDT

Valerie writes:

What do  you see in this scenario?  I must be missing something.  Thanks
for
reading through this lengthy dissertation.

Without getting into specifics, in general I feel like I am seeing a whole
crop of babies that will not latch, or will not successfully nurse even if
they  do latch, and have what looks like "no patience" and poor state
control. For  some babies it seems to last months, and may only be around feeding.
Margot Mann  used to call these little ones "refuseniks" and I am seeing
more and more of  them. Even when mom has milk, good flow, the patience of a
saint, and is willing  to try and try, and stop trying, and whatever, these
little ones do not  breastfeed. Even after CST, tongue-tie releases,
normalizing intake pattern(  this baby seems to have an abnormal pattern of stuff
and fast going) etc.,
some of them just never go on to breastfeed. The moms are often devastated.
 They work so hard on doing everything they can to set up the situation so
the  baby can breastfeed, and yet they don't. Others may have specific
suggestions,  but I am exhausted so all I can offer is my empathy.

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA