Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:05:39 +0000
Morgan, I agree completely with your comment that "I have to say the
re-vamping of the WHO site, and the branding everything 'infant
feeding' in documents, as opposed to 'breastfeeding' makes it very
hard to find stuff now... ".

I've pondered why, for a while now. WHO so consistently refers to
"infant feeding" rather than "breastfeeding" in so many of its more
recent documents.  The WHO 2003 Global Strategy for Infant and Young
Child Feeding is a case in point
(<http://www.who.int/child_adolescent_health/documents/9241562218/en/index.html>http://www.who.int/child_adolescent_health/documents/9241562218/en/index.html)
In many of the older documents, drafted before the mid-Nineties, when
Breastfeeding was intended, then "breastfeeding" was used.  But in
later publications the words "infant feeding" appear a whole lot more
often.  "Infant feeding" could mean feeding an infant with almost
anything.  On the face of it, this is a generic and beguiling term
meaning all foods fed to infants, but actually it slips beneath our
radar, blurring the distinction between breastfeeding and
other-feeding, until it's too late.  Maybe use of these words are
part of a deliberate politically motivated strategy to facilitate
easier relationships with the UN's private partners?   Whatever the
reason, when we look to more recent WHO documents to provide back-up
for our current breastfeeding advocacy, we find that clear
endorsement of _breastfeeding_ is actually pretty sketchy, and in
some cases non-existent.

Has anyone else noticed this too? - I'd be interested in others' impressions.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England