Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 01:08:33 -0400
From:
"Jennifer Tow, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>

Sarah,
I understand Cathy's position that human milk should normalize the infant's gut and that only human
milk should be ingested by infants. But, the baby does not necessarily benefit from the mother taking
probiotics. Çertainly healing her gut can support the infant--heal the mother/heal the baby has
become my mantra of late--BUT, babies are also not supposed to grow inside mommas who have
damaged guts nor are they supposed to be exposed to abx. So, in this case, I might well suggest
probiotics for the baby. And, in my experience, they do make a significant difference.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

Hi all,

Quick question.  I have permission to post.  A mum I am working with was
at her chiropractor today for her shoulders.  Baby gets wriggly at breast
after feeding for a while.  Although I was with mum on Friday for an hour
I did not see this.  But it is obviously serious enough that mum mentioned
it to c.  Chiropractor suggested probiotics as baby's tummy also rumbly
and mum has been on antibiotics - several courses.  I said I would be
concerned about allergy,  breastmilk should heal the gut and as mum's gut
recovers baby may be 'better'.  Also could be wind and wriggling could be
a bit of reflux (no intervention suggested) or baby trying to get milk to
come faster. i.e wait and see oh and I did suggest trying swapping sides
more often to 'speed up milk' - increase supply.  My instinct is breastfed
babies don't need probiotics, however if there is research suggesting
they could be helpful I don't want to be closed minded.  The ones
suggested were bifidus infantalis by Biocare.

Many thanks,

Sarah McCann.