Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 2009 22:24:57 -0400
From:
Deborah Albert <[log in to unmask]>
Betty,

  You and I are battling a number of issues.  First, you left out the
cultural aspect.  If you talk to these mothers, their mothers and
grandmothers before them believed that they did not have any milk either,
and they will tell them to use formula until it comes in.  Second, many try
to nurse "solimente pezon" or "only on the nipple" no matter how much you
try to teach assymetrical latch because their grandma or mother will tell
them that you are wrong--and from the "No Leche" experience you know that
they think grandma and mom are always right. Third, some of these moms are
21 years old and have 3 babies waiting for them at home.  To them, this is
their one chance to be pampered for just a little while, and why ruin it by
nursing ALL night long?  Fourth, I do believe that some night nurses find it
much easier to let the baby go to the nursery for a bottle than deal with a
floppy new mom who believes she has "No Leche" continue to try to nurse.

   I feel your frustration.  I have used pamphlets created by the LA
Breastfeeding Task Force, particularly "Bebes Amamantado No Necesitan
Fórmula" --"Breastfed Babies Don't Need Formula" --
http://www.breastfeedingtaskforla.org/resources/forparents/flyersbrochures.h
tm

but unless we can get serious prenatal efforts underway in their community
prenatal clinics, I am not getting anywhere.  I suppose I should be grateful
that a surprising number of women do go on to nurse their babies, and our
WIC program seriously changed on Oct. 1 to encourage breastfeeding by
offering a one year pantry to exclusive breastfeeding moms, and only 6
months to partial and fully bottle feeding moms.  The problem is that these
moms have issues with long term planning, and often will take formula today
without much consequence for 6 months from now.  Also, there are those that
do not continue breastfeeding because they cannot get the baby to take the
breast.  Betty, you and I, and a number of other LCs are dealing with the
same issues.  All we can do is try our best.  At this point, my plan is to
catch them in their community prenatally, capture peer counselors that will
help send the message, create free prenatal Spanish breastfeeding programs,
and work more with WIC and Healthy Start.  Making the hospital environment
more baby friendly will help also.  There are a lot of stones to turn...

Debbie Albert, RN, Ph.D., IBCLC
Lactation Consultant
NCH Healthcare
Naples, FL