From:
Tina Kimmel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:12:50 -0700
Arly, Some of your questions can be answered by reading about the
classic ways "attachment security" is measured. The gold standard
(flawed though it is) is the Strange Situation, eg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Ainsworth#A_Strange_Situation.

Researchers can choose whatever group of individuals and families
they want to look at. If breastfeeding was not specified, you know
they included bottlefeeding families, unfortunately.

I wrote a chapter on "Psychosocial Consequences of Not Breastfeeding"
(with 50+ references) in my dissertation on breastfeeding policy. I
can email it to you directly.

I think it's very interesting stuff. You can see there were only a
few studies (at that time in 2007, at least) which focussed directly
on breastfeeding and attachment, but they all conclude that there is
a positive correlation.

A couple of studies also investigated the direction of causality
between attachment and breastfeeding. They concluded that it goes
both ways, ie, more attchment-engengering moms choose to breastfeed,
but in addition, the act of breastfeeding itself causes mothers to be
more attachment-engendering.

Tina